Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Movie Talk :: Gaslight

This 1944 classic, starring Ingrid Bergman and Joseph Cotten, is completely saturated with suspense and drama. I was completely drawn into it and loved every minute of it. I first heard of this movie when I was reading "The Emotionally Abusive Relationship," which coins the term "gaslighting" to describe the type of abuse in this movie.

I love this kind of movie--packed with the kind of suspense that makes you just a tad uncomfortable, but without any substantial violence, sex or bad language. It reminds me of another great classic I recently watched: "To Catch A Thief." I wish people still made this kind of movie. It's just so, so, so good without any of the sleeziness that completely defines the Hollywood industry currently.

Incidentally, this movie marked the acting debut of Angela Lansbury, who plays a saucy and insolent maid. It was worth watching the movie just to see Lansbury playing such an uncharacteristic role.

Now I just need to find some friends who are willing to watch this movie with me again, so I can catch all the stuff that I didn't understand the first time...

5 comments:

  1. That is what Jac and I say when we watch all the Poirot series/movies! Didn't you introduce Hercule to us? Thank you!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like "To Catch a Thief". I will have to try this one out sometime...I can't imagine Angela Lansbury being "Saucy"!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is gaslighting? I'll watch it anytime!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks good. I love TO CATCH A THIEF. ALl those old movies are classics. Another Favorite is CHARADE.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Guess what. I can access your blog again. i had to have my brother come down and help me figure out the problem. It was some weird security issue, I don't know how it happened. But it's fixed. Ya

    ReplyDelete