Monday, July 14, 2008

Is this for Real?

In 2005, I was a soccer nut. I've loved soccer for years, but when Real Salt Lake came to town, I became an uber-crazy-soccer-loving-nutoid. It approached, surpassed and exemplified "fanatic" and "obsessive" and "addictive." I've since recovered from the addiction, but I still love RSL. They're my team!

Over the weekend, RSL floated to the top of the western division standings. No big deal, you say? Middle of the season, you say? We'll be bumped off the top within three seconds, you say? Go ahead and say it... I don't care! We've never even been handed this slight, momentary slice of joy, so I've got to enjoy it while I can.

I've been a fan long enough to expect us to crash and burn in the future. Playoffs? Don't even tease me with the word. I'm an RSL fan and I know how to swallow pain. I've been burned by RSL Fandom so many times that I don't even know how to be optimistic anymore.

... but ...

I'm going to enjoy this brief moment while I can. Just because. Goooo RSL!

1 comment:

  1. The joy and the pain of supporting RSL is all too real - no pun intended. At least at this point in time it's more joy. It helps make up for all the pain of the past.

    ReplyDelete