Saturday, July 05, 2008

Insecure versus Humble

I have this, like, really bad habit of using insecure language and stuff. It's like this really bad habit that I just can't shake, ya know?

Have you ever thought about the purpose of lingo words such as "like" or "ya know" or "and stuff"? These words are another way of saying, "I'm not really sure that what I'm saying is exactly true" or "I'm not sure about this, but this is generally correct." I'm guilty of using "insecurity" phrases in almost every sentence I speak out loud.

I'm working on slashing these phrases out of my conversation... and stuff... (Couldn't resist.)

I've become addicted to a different phrase, which qualifies my opinions as potentially uninformed, while not sounding like such a teenager. The phrase is:

"I could be wrong."

Once you start using it, it's magical. And the best part is that it's not a phrase that is based in insecurity. It's based in the realization that.. hey, I could be wrong! And there's nothing wrong with that. :) It's much less annoying to hear people humbly admit that they don't know everything than to hear them like qualify everything with like really insecure words that are like totally meaningless and junk.

Give it a try. Next time somebody disagrees with you, bite your tongue. Don't argue. Even if you're 99.999999999% sure that you're right. Just smile and say:

"I could be wrong."

You'll feel better and you'll get hooked on taking the nonconfrontational, humble approach to dialogue. At least I think you'll get hooked.

I could be wrong about that.

3 comments:

  1. You make me laugh! I find myself saying things like, "Does that make sense" or " You know what I mean", or "This is just what I think"

    But i don't think I was aware of it until I read this. Does that make sense?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post!!! I have some things to work on, in this department. However, I could be wrong... :) Just kidding. I DO have to pay more attention to these types of words and phrases in my language.
    Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know you but somehow as I was going from one friend's blog to another I ended up here. It's kinda like the six degrees of separation thing, only in cyberspace it seems like only 2 or 3 degrees. Anyway, I enjoyed your post. One time my hubby was giving a lecture and an older gentleman approached him afterwards and told him he had used "um" 72 times. Yeah, we work on that one now!

    ReplyDelete