Monday, July 21, 2008

Contingency Plan

I found this funny article today on CNN from the Oprah magazine. It's called "A Romance Contingency Plan." While my husband might not find it very humorous for me to make my own list of "men I could love" I thought it would be a fun exercise!

As the author of the article states, "I think there's something to be said for coming up with a list of impossible fantasies. Woman --at least this one --cannot live by reality alone."

And if my husband wants to retort with his own contingency plan, I'd enjoy that very, very much. :)

Here we go!

* For the last year, I've had a serious, serious crush on Frank Sinatra. I had always heard about him as a singer but I finally saw him in a movie last year and fell in love. I could be talked into staring into those eyes forever.

* Whoever invented frozen yogurt or yogurt-covered pretzels, I think I love you. I hope you're not a woman because that would be awkward.

* I also have a serious thing for James Dean. I was watching the first part of "East of Eden" last week and wondering why I loooove this boy. It wasn't his physical appearance, but more of his general essence. "The Essence of James Dean" could make somebody a millionaire if you could bottle it, sprinkle it on geeks and then watch as they turned into slightly mysterious, slightly bad but generally just misunderstood Rebels Without a Cause.

* Speaking of geeks, I have said (more than once): "Once you date a geek, you never go back." I love geeks. In honor of the strange magnetism between me and geeks of all varieties, I also nominate Bill Gates and the founders of Google, Larry Page and Sergey Brin, as men I could love.

* Since I am a voracious reader, I ought to throw out a little love to some of my favorite authors. Who could not include William Shakespeare? For the sheer sake of companionable conversation and my admiration of brilliant minds, I also need to include Alexander McCall Smith and E.M. Forster. (Besides being dead and a stranger, E.M. Forster is an even more doomed love affair since he'd be more likely to fall in love with my husband than myself, if you catch my drift.)

* Since I am in desperate need of fashion help, I should add one practical fantasy: Clinton Kelly from TLC's "What Not to Wear." That boy knows how to dress! Maybe some of his fashion sense would transfer to me eventually. (Although I'd have the same complication with him as I would with E.M. Forster. Doh!)

* In honor of my love of music, I also nominate Mozart, Beethoven and Handel as men I could love. In more contemporary culture, I would be very remiss if I didn't include John Denver. Rounding out the group, we'll throw in David Cook. Just for good measure. And because his faux-hawk rocks. And because he described himself as a "word nerd." Who wouldn't love a word nerd musician with a faux hawk? Seriously.

* You already know I have a thing for soccer. I'd be blind not to have noticed the many charms of the players themselves. So, naturally, I could love Beckham and Zidane. And who wouldn't love somebody who can do this?



* In the obscure category, I have this strange love for Pierluigi Collina, a famous soccer ref who became a pop culture icon.



So there is my contingency plan, just in case. I want to know who is on your list of people you could love. So go put together a blog entry of your own, leave a comment or drop me an email! Tag--you're it!

1 comment:

  1. Luckily for my husband any of the other men I might be known to have a crush on are all fictional characters. John Chriton from Farscape. Simon, Wash, Jayne and Malcolm from Firefly. Wolverine from X-men. And of course Mr. Darcy.

    ReplyDelete