Friday, October 24, 2008

Yo Yo Yogaaaauuuuuggghh!

Being aware of television's subtlely dangerous influence is one thing. Being able to resist the enticements, even when you know that some ad executive's rhetoric shouldn't sway you, is quite another. 

My son, Joseph, thinks that all advertisements are like documentaries. "But Mom," he says, "If you try new Cotton Scented Soap-O,* you're going to like it!" He has the simple faith of a child, even when that simple faith drives me completely around the bend. I try to explain that I'd rather pay half the price for the store brand that pay for the Latest Greatest, and he just doesn't get it yet. 

As a Communications Major, I took classes about how to persuade people to believe what I was telling them. So when I watch ads, I sit there feeling manipulated and irritated. Especially when it works. I ought to know better.

Which is a long way of saying, I was watching something on TV last night and it really stuck in my head. Luckily, it was not something trying to make me part with my money. It was one of the "Trainer's Tips" on The Biggest Loser. Bob Harper was extolling the virtues of yoga as a way of getting healthy. 

I've thought about yoga before and thought it sounded interesting, but I never really thought of it as a legitimate way to exercise. I thought it was a hippie dippie way of stretching and becoming one with your inner... whatever. Which is cool, but not what I thought I needed.

...Until it kicked my butt this afternoon. I did a total of 15 minutes. Count them: 15. And then I fell over exhausted and in pain. The pain was from my wrists, which are definitely not up to any sort of dog: up, down or otherwise. Putting any weight on them at all is quite uncomfortable. 

Other than that, though, I could feel that it was a really good workout and my body feels more loose and comfortable than it has in weeks. It was quite invigorating and I wish I could have done more, but my body (wrists) refused. Maybe I'll try it again someday, a long time from now when I have healthy hands. In the meantime, count me among the believers.

* Names have been changed to protect the innocent who might believe that "Cotton Scented Soap-O" really is that enticing.

1 comment:

  1. Yoga is a tough workout, especially when you do it right. I have a video that by the end of it I am in a sweat and it is all from posing!

    ReplyDelete