Thursday, October 23, 2008

ONE more time

I'm sure I'd be a much more interesting person if I had brilliant new thoughts every day to share. If I could give people one "WOW" moment once a week, people'd be checking the site everyday.

Unfortunately, I'm just your average slightly-obsessively-minded person who generally has a lot of the same things on her mind each day. So my blog gets repetitive. Such is life. If you think my blog is boring, just imagine living inside this head. (Yeah, I know: scary!)

With that prelude, I have tried to encourage people to take action on global poverty in the past and today is no exception. We sit and cry when we hear the stories, then we go back to our normal lives and tell our friends we "totally need a massage" today. Don't get me started on the society of entitlement we live in. It wouldn't be pretty.

But today, I decided to let somebody else plead the cause for me; somebody who was my idol as a teenager. Enjoy!



Why I like ONE.org:

1. They don't ask you for your money.
2. They ask small things of their 2.5 million members, counting on 2.5 million voices as carrying weight of their.
3. Most action items only take a few seconds to complete--just read the email, and click to sign your name to the petition. How hard is that? (Sorry, Warren Buffett.)
4. Like I said, Bono was my idol as a teenager. (Though it was Larry Mullen Jr., the drummer of U2, who really made me swoon, but that's neither here nor there.) So, okay, the Glam approach sucked me in. I admit it. But once I got started, I loved the power of adding ONE voice to a serious global problem!

2 comments:

  1. I'm already fighting world poverty, just ask my in-laws. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Bono. I would do whatever he asked... well, kind of.

    ReplyDelete