Monday, October 13, 2008

Still waiting for it to be funny

When something horridly human happens, I usually wait a few minutes/hours/days for it to become humorous enough to blog about. I'm still waiting for last Friday to become funny to me, but the incident is stubbornly annoying still.

* I'm still annoyed that a pleasant family outing to Lagoon with Josh and Joseph turned into something so not pleasant.

* I'm still annoyed that I knew it was time to leave... and I told Joseph we were leaving... and then I ignored that little voice in my head and decided to go check out the supposedly-wicked-awesome roller coaster "Wicked" instead.

* It's still not funny that we have to replace my husband's glasses because they fell off of him while on a roller coaster. I know it's funny to YOU, but it's still not funny to me. We don't have vision insurance and glasses are pricey.

* It's still not funny that we have eye infections goin' around, so my husband couldn't wear contacts all weekend either.

* It's still not funny that we waited until after the roller coaster closed past 11 p.m. for them to go look around below "Wicked" to try to find the glasses and we still had to walk away empty-handed.

* It's still not funny how bitterly cold and windy it was at 11:30 p.m. in Farmington.

* It's still not funny that we were literally the last visitor car in the parking lot.

* It's still not funny when I remember the tears running down Joseph's cheeks as he begged us to just let him go home and go to sleep because he was so tired and so cold. 

* It's especially not funny that I encouraged Joseph to pray that the people would be able to find Daddy's glasses, and then they couldn't find them. Not the message I was trying to send to my child, but I'm sure there's a more important message in the wings. Something about keeping faith even when things don't make sense or something about sometimes the answer is yes and sometimes the answer is no. I just wanted the simple "yes" this time to teach my son simple faith.

* I'm still annoyed that I just knew we shouldn't have gone over to that roller coaster but I went anyway. It's not funny that I couldn't think of a single earthly reason not to follow the group instead of following my gut instinct so I kept my mouth shut.

It'll be funny soon enough. But as of today, there is nothing funny about any of this. Please stop laughing.

9 comments:

  1. I could write a response on my own blog about the whole incident, but since I was part of the group that swayed you to leave your voice of reason behind, I shall remain silent. But in all fairness, your husband did knock the glasses off his own head to save a knit hat. Really, is that the coaster's fault? In all seriousness, we've been there with the no vision coverage. You can get some good deals--even better deals--by not having coverage. Shop around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seems like your little voice inside sounds like a roller coaster. Sorry that Josh lost his glasses. That really stinks. When I can't find something I turn into someone I don't especially like very much. I sense a Sunday School lesson in your experience. :) My oldest is 20 today (blogged about it), so stories about cute little boys depending on their mommies are tough for me right now... sigh

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3:39 PM

    Once while at work I was feeling really good full of the spirit and I had decided to ride my motorcycle during my lunch hour. I had a strong impression that I would be in danger if I went. I thought well since I know there is danger; I’ll just be careful. I was real cautious drove two blocks when a truck almost me. I thought well, that is over so I drove off. I went another block when a car pulled out in front of me and almost hit me. By then I was so scared I made a U-turn and headed back to work. I was watching every car and truck; every place a vehicle could sneak up on me. Yes I was so terrified I was going to be hit by a car I failed to see the red light until I was at it. I slammed on the brakes and laid my bike down sliding through the intersection. I then got up and pulled into the parking lot where I worked. All I had was a little road rash and some small damage on my gas tank.
    Well I guess the obvious is when the spirit speaks you should listen. The funny thing is when I ran the red light; the cars in all four lanes never moved. They sat there and watched me lay my bike down and slide through the intersection. This just hammered home the point. What happened to me was of my own doing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tell me about pricey eyewear, I'm still trying to save up to buy an $800 contact lens.

    It sure sounds like it will be funny after you pay off the debt to buy new glasses.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so sorry. It will be funny someday, I hope sooner than later.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How sad. I'll try to laugh, if it will make you feel better... or I can cry with you, it that would help. I'm so sorry. Good luck!

    On a different note, I LOVE the roller coaster Wicked, of course I've never lsot glasses on it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not laughing...that's something that would happen to me and I don't imagine it's much fun! I feel for Joseph especially though!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous2:36 PM

    Wow. If it makes you feel any better I would be annoyed too. I'm not sure if you're anything like me but I get more annoyed at myself.. the whole "I knew better" mentality. Give it another week, I'm sure you'll laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a sad story! And at an amusement park where it's supposed to be all fun and games!

    I can tell you one good thing that's come of your experience: My husband recently bought a second pair of glasses (he had good reasons, though)and I was a little bothered by that because there are other places our money should be going. After reading this I'm glad he has two pairs so we don't have a sudden chunk of money to put into new glasses if anything happens! Thanks for that.

    ReplyDelete