Thursday, January 22, 2009

Most Embarrassing Moment

I've decided it's time.

It's water under the bridge.

It's ancient history.

Time to Confess. Why not?

A couple years ago, I felt my stress level rising. In the words of my physician, "Life is hard. If nobody has told you that yet, I'm telling you now. Life is hard." She was apologizing for being behind schedule because the patient before me was in need of a little emotional care in addition to physical care.

We all have those moments when we need a little emotional boost. A couple years ago, I decided the time was right for me. It was embarrassing to call our mental health hotline and ask for a referral to a therapist. It's hard to admit it on my blog, too, but there you are. I felt my anxiety level rising and decided I could use a little help figuring out some strategies to deal with the anxiety.

So I got a name of a therapist in Pleasant Grove and started going to see her. If you've never been to a shrink before, here's how it goes: you spill your guts. You talk about everything under the sun, including the details of all your family relationships. It's easy for a person like me to talk and talk. I'm a fairly open person in most ways. So I talked and talked. I spilled the beans about all my personal history and psychological troubles.

After several visits with her, she asked, "Where did you say you live?" I explained. She pushed for more details, "Which part of that neighborhood?" Now this was getting weird. So I told her exactly where I live.

"I used to live in that ward," she said.

I stared. Then it all hit me.

I had been her son's scout den leader. He had been inside my home. I knew exactly where she had lived. I had gone to church with her. I KNEW HER. And to say that she knew me was a heck of an understatement after a few therapy sessions. Can you imagine what it's like to look at your shrink and then realize that you actually know each other... but had forgotten? 

Once we made the connection, she knew exactly what my house looked like and how it was laid out on the inside. She had been in my home before! And we had completely forgotten each other!

It's not the kind of Most Embarrassing Moment that you usually hear: falling down in public or accidentally exposing your anatomy. It was exposing my entire soul to somebody I thought was an impartial stranger, only to realize it was my neighbor. Do you have an embarrassing moment worse than that? Blog about it then come back and send me the link!

1 comment:

  1. I'm dying to know who it was! Did you keep going after you made the connection? That's hilarious... but try not to be too embarrassed. It's her job! I'm sure that she didn't think much of it.

    ReplyDelete