Monday, January 26, 2009

Another once in a lifetime

Sometimes I am so generous it astounds even me. Like when my nephew announced he was headed to Los Angeles to visit the Disney Animation Studios, and I generously volunteered to chaperone him on his trip. If that's not pure charity, what is?

So tomorrow I fly to LAX with my nephew and Wednesday we get to see the inner workings of Disney Animation Studios. The studio happens to also be in the same city as that icon of baked goods: Portos Bakery. So we'll enjoy a few chocolate croissants, cheese rolls (cream cheese filling wrapped with flaky layers of pastry, aka the most heavenly baked good I've ever tasted... you have to try one to understand... ), and a mountainous slice of pecan coffee cake. Then we'll head back to my sister's condo in the middle of Santa Monica, where we can relax and play Pixel Junk Monsters, dine out or enjoy some fresh food from the Whole Foods Market a couple blocks away, while soaking in the 72 degree sunshine.

Which brings me back to my thesis: my nephews are lucky to have an aunt as altruistic as myself, sacrificing two days of the activities I love better than life itself: potty training a stubborn three-year-old, wiping wet noses, preparing meals that nobody appreciates, slipping around the ice and snow and folding mountains of laundry.

I hope I've set an example of Christian Charity for those of you reading. If you haven't set your heart on following these high ideals, I hope I've inspired you to rethink your life.

3 comments:

  1. I want to be a "giver" just like you. Really. Can I come?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hiya! It sounds like we're on the same wavelength. I'm planning Porto's, Caleb's interview, and PixelJunk on our new TV. Consider adding Cafe 50's, 3rd Street Promenade, the Santa Monica pier, or Inkheart to your agenda....I think we will rock! Oh, and we'll watch the Pixar Story again, if Caleb hasn't seen it. Let's spoil him! See ya soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm totally with you on the spoiling. Sam had a once-in-a-lifetime experience last year. Let's make this one over the top fun for Caleb!!

    ReplyDelete