Sunday, January 04, 2009

A Moment of Mourning

To all my friends who I am shocked to find in a different ward starting tonight, what can I say? It's still sinking in. I love you. I'll miss you. I've learned so much from each of you. I hope that we still see each other and remember each other and remain friends even though we won't see each other on Sundays.

And on a less serious note, a small story: last night I asked my bishop if we would be meeting for all three hours next Sunday. He said, "Yes, we might not be meeting at the time you expect but we'll meet for all three hours." Before I go further into the story, I should state that I absolutely hate 1:00 church. I have been looking forward to our 9:00 church schedule during all of 2008. I love going to church early before my children get cranky and tired. Our primary was so much more reverent today on the 9:00 schedule. It was absolutely lovely.

So when the bishop uttered those words, I felt like I'd had the rug pulled out from under me. I've been looking forward to this schedule for two years! Noooooo! So of course I said to the Bishop, "If we're being moved back to one o'clock church, that's it. I'm out of the church." He laughed and said, "I sure hope not." I hoped his reply was more along the theoretical lines of hoping I wouldn't leave the church over something so trivial (which of course I wouldn't.)

As I walked away from him, however, I wondered if that meant the unthinkable was coming. At our stake boundary realignment tonight, it was confirmed. I get to endure ... err, I mean enjoy .. another year of going to church in the afternoon while my kids should be having a quiet time. Sigh. I suppose worse things could happen, like a third of my subdivision suddenly being in a different ward. Oh wait.. that happened too!

So I'll endure a few moments of mourning during this time of change. In a few days, I'll get to work figuring out how this all affects my calling and trying to pull things together so we can build unity in our new ward. Such is life: things happen, and then you carry on.

7 comments:

  1. I wish I could switch you times! I've been looking forward to getting OUT of the 9:00 schedule all year long - one Sunday of the sweetness that is the 11:00 schedule and BAM! we're back at 9 am. I'm most sad for your loss of ward members :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel your pain. We're splitting next week. However, since they built a new chapel to house the new ward, I think we're still guaranteed our 9 am spot. Though not a big fan of 9 am, it's nice to be home and done with church by noon instead of 4. Then I get my Sunday nap in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are not having the ward split, but we ARE now on the 1 pm block time. But I like coming home and eating and then getting ready for bed. It works ok for us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have mixed feelings about the realignment (I know it needed to happen, but it's still sad) but 1 pm church for another year is absolutely not acceptable. With only two wards in the building, why can't one do 9 and one do 11? Seems silly to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am with you on the church time. Primary was lovely this morning. Oh, well!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our stake split a while back, and with it our ward. Wow, it's been almost nine years ago now! Before the split I was serving in a calling I loved, with women I loved and the split meant we could no longer stay working together. I remember sitting in the back of the stake meeting -- LOTS of people -- and as soon as I saw the new boundary map and comprehended what it meant for my ward, I burst into uncontrollable sobs.

    I still dearly miss attending church with some of my friends, but the change also meant I got new opportunities and new friends that wouldn't have been possible without mixing things up a bit. Hugs to you. I know what it feels like to mourn such a loss.

    Oh, and I'm on the 1pm schedule now too. Not my favorite, but it does have its silver linings for me -- like sleeping in just a teensy bit longer and still having time to braid my girls' hair before church. :) BTW, worst schedule ever, 3-6pm with Sacrament last.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel your 1pm pain! We just moved into a new ward and it was meeting at 1. I kept thinking that as soon as the new year hit we'd be moved to a more user friendly time. Today I just found out that our ward changes in the fall (weird!!!) not the new year.
    Sorry about your ward split. I hope you'll find new friends!

    Jessica

    ReplyDelete