Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Cherish These Years?

This is my ode to the limited memories of grandparents and the limited vision of parents and grandparents, and how they sometimes don't see eye to eye.

Cherish These Years
An Ode to Grandparenthood and Parenthood


Cherish these years!
                   Even the tears?
His innocent face
                   I need private space
Two new front teeth
                   He’s biting me
Such a sweet voice
                   He’s ruined his toys
He’s only a child
                   He’s driving me wild
He’ll grow out of it
                   I doubt it
He’s nearly two
                   I feel old, too
Time goes so fast
                   I wish it would pass
He acts so alive
                   I’m so sleep deprived
Do you feel cooped?
                   Covered in poop
His underwear’s raining
                   Ugh—Potty training
He wants his grandmum
                   Here comes his tantrum
How well he throws
                   What’s that in his nose?
Let’s paint his room taupe
                   I need stronger soap
Let’s give him a tart
                   He’ll tear it apart
Hmph! Back in my day…
                   That’s what they all say

1 comment: