Wednesday, October 17, 2007

The FDA

My apologies for two posts in one day that are somewhat impersonal and boring, but both are issues I tend to feel strongly about.

Tomorrow, the FDA will meet to begin discussions about the safety and efficacy of cough and cold medicines for young children. I have been following this developing story over the last few weeks and feeling like I would like some solid answers. All three of my children have had colds during the last few weeks and I have felt a pang of anxiety each time I give them a dose of medicine for their symptoms.

From what I have read, cough and cold medicines are blamed for the sudden deaths of some young children, due to a reaction to some of the ingredients. However, I have no information about what the other confounding factors might be in these cases. I don't even fully understand how widespread the problem has been.

I hate vague anxiety-inducing reports like these but I feel a responsibility to keep listening. I hope that eventually some facts emerge from the mist so parents like me can feel comfortable again--whether the kids are dry-nosed and medicated, or medication-free with gick on their faces.

3 comments:

  1. I have been trying the natural approach the past year to great results. There are two natural syrups that both help lessen the duration of colds and one is actually so far one of the only things they have found that combat against bird flu. That one is called Sabucol and it is a combination of Elderberry, Echinacea, and Propolis. It comes in a child friendly dose. The other is called Umcka. It is from an african geranium plant. This year they put out one that is called Umcka cold and flu which says it helps not only shorten, but relieve symptoms as well. I have found if my kids start getting cold symptoms I just start them on umcka and they never develope an actual cold or flu. You can get these through Nature's Way at the Good Earth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you. It's stressing me out, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know, try taking the minimal approach, lessen the recommended dose. I had fun with you girls last night at Book Club.

    ReplyDelete