Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Advice for Aspiring Writers

I just got home from our local "Authorpalooza" at Barnes & Noble. It was a memorable experience for several reasons, but since it is late and I am tired, I thought I'd blog the simplest tonight and save the others for later.

A few months ago, I attended another Writer's Thing-a-doo-hickey and was impressed with the seasoned professionalism of one of the writers, whom we will call "Nick."* When I heard he would be at the Authorpalooza, I thought I should get one of his books and have it autographed for one of the kids. (I figure that it's a great thing to support local authors. We're lucky in Utah to have a great, tight-knit community of writers.)

So I approahced "Nick" and asked him to make the book out to Thomas, who loves reading. After he signed it, we chatted briefly and I told "Nick" that I had considered taking some classes at BYU to kick-start my creativity. After talking about that for a few moments, he said suddenly, "My advice to aspiring writers is: Don't do it ... unless you have to."

I stopped dead in my tracks. Wait... what? What about the muse that must be fed? What about the need to write being likened to the need to breathe or eat to survive? What about the optimism and encouragement? Did he really just say that?

"Well, that's encouraging," I stuttered in shock.

"Look," he said. "It's hard to support a family by writing. It's hard work. People think it's a great way to express themselves creatively, but I'll be honest: there are a lot of ways to express your creativity and I'd rather see a lot of different forms of creativity more than just another book on the book shelf."

With that, the conversation was basically over. Thanks for the ... encouragement. And for signing the book for my son. And have a nice day?

I'm still mulling over the advice that "Nick" gave me. I haven't decided if it's the worst advice I've ever received or the best. It could go either way. At least it was refreshingly, startlingly honest. And honest is good.


* Name has been changed to protect the innocent.**

** By "innocent," I mean "guilty"

5 comments:

  1. He must not want any competition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that is rather surprising. I have to say, though, that I somewhat understand the advice (not that I am in any situation similar at all). If you want to use creative writing to support a family, I am sure it is extremely difficult. If you want to write on the side because it is a passion, than I think that his advice is irrelevant. Besides, he has a point about expressing creativity in different ways.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, it is hard to support a family writing. Luckily, I am not planning on having to do that anytime soon. If you write to make a living, is it really worth it? I don't know. If you write because you love it and then out of sheer luck you make lots of money doing it is it worth it? Probably. Keep writing, if for no one else than you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think sooooo many people think their book is the next big thing and this guy was just used to giving reality checks. But writing for your own enjoyment and expression? There is not a way to squelch that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry, I'm a stranger, but I stumbled across your blog and, as an aspiring writer myself, I must comment. The advice Nick gave you was the worst advice I've ever heard. People are always trying to protect their livelihood from becoming saturated. Plain and simple, that is where his advice comes from. Rise above it and write and write and write until the day you die.

    ReplyDelete