Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Old love, new loves

New Loves:

* The little chocolate horses from IKEA. They taste like Kinder Eggs, with that rich, european chocolate texture that Americans have yet to master.

* The little chocolate-covered toffees from IKEA that look like Rolos. I bought "mint caramel" because it sounded so impossibly gross. It was totally delicious.

Old Love:

Thomas told me today that our Raffi Concert DVD is his favorite movie. That boy has good taste. I was raised on Raffi and I cannot stand the modern kids musicians who make love to the camera and seem to forget that they're supposed to be singing for the KIDS. Raffi is sincere and lets his personality carry the music. Kids are naturally attracted to him because he's so genuine.



I cannot help loving a children's performer who says, "Throughout my 20-plus years of making music for children, the core value at the heart of my work has been respect for the young child as a whole person. I have not accepted any offers to do commercial endorsements because I believe it's wrong to use one's popularity to sell products to a vulnerable audience. "

Of course, Raffi has grown up and his music has grown up, too. He now sings environmentalist, peace-l0ving, groovy songs and talks about Child Honoring. Luckily, his kids music lives on through recordings and DVDs. Yea Raffi!

3 comments:

  1. Old love: You!!!!

    New love: 34 degrees Sesame Crackers and Recchiuti caramels and chocolates (you know what I'm talking about, baby!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had never heard of Raffi. He does seem pretty genuine and not too shiny, which is a compliment. Thanks for the intro.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:08 PM

    Yay! I just met Raffi the other day! What a treat! I wish I had of had my girls with me, we were busy getting ready for our annual Christmas Nativity Pageant that we did early this year.

    What a success. we found a site that had the nativity (short-great for kids 5-10 minutes) being read from Luke with music behind. IT WAS BEAUTIFUL!

    I can honestly say I have never had such relaxing Christmas Pageant. Good luck!

    This is the site I got mine from:
    Go visit this site.

    ReplyDelete