Friday, January 11, 2008

Calories

I sometimes wonder how different foods can have such divergent calorie amounts.

I just got a bowl of ice cream and decided that if I was going to have such an unhealthy treat, I may as well feel guilty about it. So I looked at the Nutritional Information and saw the bad news: 240 calories per half cup.

It got me wondering about food. Wouldn't it be cool if you could compare foods by the amount of space they take up on your plate? A plate of ice cream might be 1,000 calories while a plate of lettuce would be two. I propose that food be regulated by cubic inches on every package! That way we could compare foods directly, rather than comparing 123 fl.oz. of a beverage to 23 grams of a dessert. That's confusing and only slightly useful.

Cubic inches, now. There's an idea.

3 comments:

  1. Let's get to the important details, did it taste good? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I would like is for calories to magical equal how full you feel. If you eat 500 calories, I want to feel full, (even if I had only consumed a few potatoe chips

    ReplyDelete
  3. You forgot to mention the things about calories that my aunt taught me. If you don't use silverware to eat a food, just your fingers, there are no calories. If it's a sugar cookie in the shape of an apple, it has the same calories as an apple and not a cookie with frosting. I can continue with more of her calorie rules, but you get the idea.

    ReplyDelete