Monday, April 06, 2009

Easter Symbolism

I was just talking to my sister about the symbolism behind some of the Easter traditions. She was saying that you need to figure out which things are religious symbols and which things are pre-Christian pagan symbols. For example, some of the cute little websites I looked at said the egg symbolizes Christ's tomb.

Huh? How does an EGG represent a TOMB?

I'm sorry, but that is a stretch. My sister's explanation makes a lot more sense: "It's all about fertility, baby!" The Easter holiday is, in many ways, a SPRINGTIME holiday, which makes symbols of fertility highly appropriate. Since I prefer not to teach my tender, young children about the symbolism of fertility, we'll turn in just slightly and teach about the joy of NEW LIFE.

Easter is, whether you look at it through a religious or secular lens, a celebration of new life. Whether it be the celebration of the cycle of life and all its mysteries, or a celebration of Christ's triumph over death (and the promise of a new life after our time on earth) ... it is a time to celebrate LIFE.

So color your symbols of fertility ... err, eggs. And buy your kids new Sunday clothes (unless you're a tightwad like me). Cook yourself a ham or turkey or tofu burger. Surround yourself with the people you love. Then sit down. Find a quiet moment to look at the beauty of life--your life, the lives of those you love, the flowers that are starting to pop out of the ground, and the landscape that is slowly turning green again. 

If you're like me, you'll probably close your eyes and whisper a brief prayer of thanks. Whether you voice your gratitude or not... feel it. Troubles can wait until Monday. Easter Sunday is about gratitude for the good things of life, and promise of renewal and rejoicing in the future.

1 comment:

  1. I'll have to tell you sometime about an email my husband had forwarded to him about some Easter symbolism...:)

    We always talk about the "new life" thing each year. Lambs, chicks, eggs, etc. Makes sense to me.

    ReplyDelete