Monday, May 10, 2010

Baby Love

~ My new baby, Eden, arrived a couple weeks ago on a date that was void of mathematical poetry or numerical beauty. The day was, however, one of the most beautiful days of my life. ~

Watching my husband's car pull out of the driveway into the rain. My emotions flood me.

I'm not ready for this. Just me and four children. Four children. Four.

And now my husband is pulling away from the house, leaving just me and my surgery incision to care for the kids. I'm not sure which is flowing faster--the raindrops outside or my tears inside. The decision to become a parent is always a scary one, one which overwhelms me and turns my world upside down.

So I guess you could say the whole nurturing and mothering thing has never come to me automatically. It's an acquired skill. I adore my family with all my heart and I am--finally--really, truly happy to be a stay-at-home Mom with ambitions that swirl all around raising a happy family. Amazing that I've finally gotten there, left previous ambitions along the roadside and winked at the possibilities of other ambitions that are waiting down the road. Right here on the journey, I am happy.

I'll tell you a secret: happiness is not always independent of being really, really scared and overwhelmed. Happiness does not preclude being totally freaked out.

I have learned for myself that we are sometimes closest to God when we are in way over our heads. And we cannot grow spiritually bigger unless we are stretched. And I am happier when I am growing and becoming a better person. That doesn't mean the process is comfortable, though. It hurts.

So right now I'm home alone with my kids for the first time since baby arrived a couple weeks ago. It's finally hitting me that a year ago I was really THRIVING in my life. And now I'm back to SURVIVING. It's really painful to realize the full impact of what that means--the sacrifices, the family upheaval, the emotional ups and downs. It's pretty heavy.

It's pretty exciting, too. And miraculous. And it's taking all my willpower to not run into the bedroom to go stare at my new little baby, Eden. She's a delight. A heaven on earth. I cry every day as I stare down into her innocent face.

In the middle of the night, I awoke to her hungry cry and thought, "I cannot sit up. I cannot feed her. Too tired. Too hard. I can't do it." Of course, I did it. And then my husband swaddled her up to go back to her bed and I should have been grateful to get back to sleep, but I asked him to hand her to me. Just to say goodnight one more time. And I couldn't let go. We just stared at each other. I smiled at her inquisitive eyes and tiny, pursed lips. She stared at me and I told myself she's liking what she sees. I hope that's true.

So that's the story of my new life. My old life is buried behind months of bed rest and sleep deprivation and pregnancy blah. I haven't been Juliana for a long time, now. It hurts to miss the old me that had freedom to go shopping without kids or visit friends or do paper-crafting or, of course, blog more regularly. Now those things are the precious little bits that I have to fit into a world of baby chaos.

And somehow, as I type this, it's okay. It's okay to be overwhelmed by my crazy life and it's okay to feel inadequate--that's all part of the process.

Four kids. Wow. I'm taking a deep breath. Here we go.

5 comments:

  1. I love reading your thoughts. You have such an eloquent way of writing and expressing yourself.
    My boys arrived a week ago, and I agree, it's completely overwhelming and yet such a precious blessing to be a mother. I hope you continue to heal well. The surgery has been harder on me than I expected and I too can't wait to start feeling like me again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow... you are an amazing mom, and writer! I'm so afraid to be a mom, mostly because an overwhelming feeling of inadequacy, but what you wrote really hit me and makes me think that I need to come to grips that I'm not perfect... but I can do it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful post. Your words pulled my mind back to a little over 3 years ago when Tanner was born. Kirk was gone on business trips the first 2 months (minus the weekends) of Tanner's life and continues to travel a lot. I know what it feels like to be overwhelmed. I also know that it's amazing the strength that you find when you think you have none left. You CAN do this! It is never easy, but always so worth the journey. I'm so happy for you and your family to bring this beautiful little girl into your lives!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sniffle, sniffle. (That's me sniffling, not you. Just to be clear on who needs the Kleenex.) Don't forget that you can call on people (me, for example) if you need to. Pammmmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  5. You will need to change your header now, huh? :)

    You can do the four kid thing! I am rooting for you all the way.

    ReplyDelete