Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Hearty

My heart was pumping quickly all the way to the cardiologist's office. Stress. I didn't even want this appointment, but in the wise words of my obstetrician, "You don't mess around with the heart."

What I expected from my cardiologist: an hour-long wait followed by lots of questions, no definite answers, and a round of excruciatingly irritating tests.

What I got: a warm and personable receptionist who told me I'm her hero for having four kids (she only has one), an empty waiting room and brief wait, a reassuring doctor who only ordered one test (yippee! ... even if it's the one I dread the most) and who told me to relax and try not to worry about it.

You know how they always say, "Consult a doctor before starting a new exercise program?" I've always thought that was kind of unnecessary in most cases, but discovered today I am one of those exceptions. No new exercise for me right now. If my heart rate is 120 just loading the dishwasher, I guess training for a marathon is out. (Mwahahaha... like I'd ever train for a marathon. I crack me up!)

When I was scheduling my follow-up appointment, the adorably happy and friendly receptionist suddenly stopped and said, "Oh! Do you want brownies?" Then she looked over her shoulder a little and said, "Ooh, but you can't tell the heart doctor I said that!"

So I came home with a clean bill of cardiac health (pending results of the upcoming test), instructions to relax, not worry about it and live my life. And on top of all that, I brought home brownies.

That was so much better than I expected.

5 comments:

  1. Yeah! Let's sit on the couch and watch movies to celebrate--how about a MOVIE marathon. Mawaha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Great news for you and the ticker.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great News. Ditto about the movies. I love to knit and watch movies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A cardiologist office that offers brownies-- that makes my day. Hope you're able to relax and slow down!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Y'all know I'm ALWAYS up for a movie marathon!

    ReplyDelete