Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Depression

If my recent post about the Pit of Despair wasn't enough of a clue, I'm seriously fighting off some depression right now.

It started about two weeks ago and I told my husband I could feel that depression blah setting in. The tiredness. The listlessness. The feeling that no matter how happy your life is, you can't be happy. You just look at it analytically and say, "I should be happy. Life is great. There is no reason to be unhappy, but there is no way to feel otherwise." If you haven't experienced it (or if you aren't currently experiencing it), it's hard to understand how real this is.

I'm not in some catatonic depressive state where I can't get up in the morning or brush my teeth. I'd call this mild depression. It's just that constant, nagging feeling of unhappiness and lethargy that I can't shake. It's annoying. I am living my life in black and white instead of color--but I'm still alive and kicking. I'm still making plans and getting things done and being a (pretty) good parent.

But there are little troubles that irritate me. My oldest is constantly dragged down by my mood. His mood is very dependent on mine and he is really bothered that I'm not being fun and cheerful and laughing with him. In other words, he's bummed out that I'm bummed out. I feel for him and I'm bummed out that I'm not being more fun.

The other thing that is really irking me right now is that I see myself entering a more serious stage of depression. This one I like to call the "Push Away Anybody Who Cares About Me At All" stage. This is the self-pitiful, moody stage where I make myself so incredibly unpleasant that nobody wants to be within a mile of me. I frown. I complain. I am a Piece of Work.

I look at myself logically and wish I could get away from myself, but I'm stuck here living inside this Piece of Work that I don't recognize. She's a stranger to me--so foreign to my naturally sunny and optimistic temperament.

Four more months and the baby will be here. My heart will recognize its' biological speed limit again and slow down so I can fight this with some exercise. And if things are getting worse, I at least have the option of an anti-depressant. I don't like to pop the pills but I'll do it for Joseph. He deserves to have his Mom back.

***

Why, oh why, do I expose myself to the world this way? We've gone over this before. I'm not ashamed that I was built this way: overly anxious and occasionally prone to depression. That's not a choice I made. It's something that was dealt to me in my genetic deck of cards--the same way some people are dealt diseases or handicaps. I know how to fight this and I always do. I'm proud of how thoroughly I've made this a non-issue in my life (except when I'm pregnant... and getting pregnant scared me to death for that very reason) ... but I remember the first time it hit and I was unprepared. I felt so alone, so misunderstood, so ashamed of who I was. 


This is a common, but mostly unspoken, problem and I want others to know they're not alone. I want to shout down into the abyss that others have fallen into and tell them there is hope. Maybe that will be enough of a rope for them to cling to that they can eventually climb out and find normality again.


That's why.

6 comments:

  1. So sorry you are feeling weighed down and blue. If your prediction is correct, and you will be pushing people away who care about you, hurry and let me just say...

    I think you are fab!

    I am glad we are friends.

    We got Pandemic for Christmas and are having fun playing it.

    Your kids (Joseph) are special little guys who will patiently wait for you.

    XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you don't need a fix or an answer, but I am a guy and feel compelled to offer something. When I feel down I watch a movie based on a true story that is horrible, like "Hotel Rawanda" or "Shindler's List" reminds me that other people have it worse.

    I also read a old blog post that I thought was pretty inspiring at http://jmetropolis.blogspot.com/2008_12_01_archive.html

    Thanks for sharing though, your life has far more responsibility than mine so I doubt I could relate, but I like to read that everyone has trouble.

    -j

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been there too! Usually for me it just takes time and patience with those feelings. Oh and a whole lot of prayer and scripture study for answers and some nights out with my hubby and friends :-) You're in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As another one of those who truly understands, I am really, really sorry. I hope that you don't feel too much guilt over not being the 'perfect' mom or wife or friend at times like this...guilt definitely doesn't help depression. Take care of yourself and allow others to take care of you too and just think about that gorgeous little baby growing inside you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:56 AM

    I totally get it. I am there most of the time. It is a daily battle. I am glad you are blogging about this. I want to stay home and not talk to anyone most of the time and people do not understand why. I guess I don't fully understand why...Anyway, thanks for being honest.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry you're going through depression. As this was a month ago, I hope it's gotten better, but I know it always isn't like that. My year and a half struggling with depression was the worst time of my life.

    ReplyDelete