Friday, October 09, 2009

Rather (Rah-thuh)

I just finished a great classic novel, Middlemarch by George Eliot. It was quite an impressive epoch and I am glad I discovered it. However, I worry that it has had a negative influence on my speech patterns. I find myself using complicated, pretentious-sounding phrases because that has filled my mind so completely of late. (Ahem.)

Did it rub off on Joseph? He wanted to write me a little letter this morning and I told him to just write whatever was in his heart. The result:

"Dear Mom,

I do hope the baby will function."

I laugh every time I think of this phrase. I think, "Rather, dear!" with an overly dramatized stuffy, old English gentlemen accent. Rah-thuh! I do hope the baby will be perfectly functional, indeed!

3 comments:

  1. That is the awesomest thing ever! (and I know my language sucks comapred to your son, awesomest isn't even a word, I'm just trying to emphisize just how cool he is!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I imagine the next letter to be written with all kinds of curliques and flourishes and perhaps sealed with wax. Love it!

    ReplyDelete