Saturday, October 31, 2009

I Love Reading

I love reading.

Tonight I cried when I saw that the next page in my novel said, "Acknowledgements." In other words, "That's it, folks. The end." I didn't cry because it was a sad ending to the novel. I cried because I just wanted to keep reading and stay immersed in a world I loved with characters who had become dear friends. When I really love a book, I hate getting booted out on that final page, back into reality. Not that reality is bad--I just really love reading.

I have read the following books since I got pregnant three months ago:

October
The Help, by Kathryn Stockett (464 pages)
Tea Time for the Traditionally Built (No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency, #10), by Alexander McCall Smith (212)
The Miracle at Speedy Motors (No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency, #9), by Alexander McCall Smith (224)
The Screwtape Letters, by C.S. Lewis (175)
Strong Women Stay Slim, by Miriam E. Nelson (Okay, I only read about half of it, I admit.) (336)
Middlemarch, by George Eliot (1,024)

September
The Winter of Our Discontent, by John Steinbeck (304)
The Last Lecture, by Randy Pausch (206)
Fablehaven #3: Grip of the Shadow Plague, by Brandon Mull (487)
Fablehaven #2: Rise of the Evening Star, by Brandon Mull (456)
Kissing Doorknobs, by Terry Spencer Hesser (160)
Forest Born, by Shannon Hale (391)

August
The Kitchen God's Wife, by Amy Tan (416)
Eat, Pray, Love, by Elizabeth Gilbert (334)

Total: 5,189 pages and hours of delight


I bought "The Help" on the same day that I checked out the latest two Alexander McCall Smith books from the library: Wednesday. Today is Saturday and I feel depressed because I've finished all three and I have nothing to read on Sunday afternoon. If this is an addiction, I don't want to recover.

I love reading.

6 comments:

  1. Man, I haven't read for pleasure since starting back at school in the Spring. :( Even this month I checked out an Mp3 edition of the book!

    All of that reading is why you are so smart and interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Mp3 was for my book club. Sorry...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditto, amen, I agree, you are right!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love reading too. I have been a slacker because I have been writing so much. I need to get a good book and just jump into it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know how I found your blog, but I love your blog. I love your line about addiction of reading. You seem fantastic--

    ReplyDelete
  6. You and me both, girl. If my queue at the library runs out, I get deeply traumatized!

    ReplyDelete