Thursday, October 08, 2009

Frail

I'm still unsure of how this happens. All is well. All is good. Then I wake up from a nap and uncertainty has overcome me. All my mistakes, all my blunders, all my imperfections are carved in front of me. I stare at them and feel so weak, so helpless.

Maybe I expect too much of myself, or maybe I don't expect enough of myself. I feel that both are true and that knowledge makes me wince.

Sometimes my words echo after they are spoken and I say, "I'm a nice person. I have a gentle voice and pleasant manner of showing others that I care for them." Then I think of all the proof that this isn't true and my words sounds harsh and unforgiving.

I want off this emotional roller coaster.

When I think about the so, so, so many imperfections that define me, I can't help but feel like the video below, which makes me cry every time I watch it. (Surprise, surprise.) If it was easy to perfect myself, wouldn't I do it? But life is not easy. I am bound and trodden down by how difficult it is to be something that I am not, that I want to be.



I know that I am progressing every day to the person whom I will some day be. I think I feel this furnace of imperfection more than many people. Now I will sit and mourn my humanity. Tomorrow I will resolve to see my own divinity.

2 comments:

  1. This video is one of my all time favorite SYTYCD moments. Just like you, there are tears every time I watch it. I identify with it for all the reasons that you said. And you said it so much more articulately than I could.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I think your point about not feeling worth much and at the same time wondering if we undervalue ourselves is such a dialogue I have with myself.

    I like you. :) It is a process, J. A process.

    ReplyDelete