Friday, February 27, 2009

Limits.

I have limits. I may be a patient person, but even patient people have their limits.

"Mommy, I'm hunnnggggggrrryyy!"
"We'll have a snack with Joseph when he gets home."
"But I'm hunnnnnggggrrrrryyyyyyyyy..."

{repeat infinitely for several minutes}

"Elijah, Joseph is home. Snack time!"
...
"Elijah! Come downstairs!"
...
"Elijah! Snack time!"

"Elijah, do you want some cake?" {Yes, we believe in healthy snacks at our house. But we're also eating up leftover birthday cake... five of them..."}
"No, don't like carrot cake."
"Do you want some of your chocolate cake?"
"Mmhmm."
"Okay, do you want some of your ice cream?"
"Mmhmm."

...

"WWWaaaaaah!!! Don't want cake and ice cream!!"
"But you just said..."
"Waaaaahh! Don't want cake and ice cream in that bowl! I want a big bowl!"

...

"Here you go. A big bowl."
"Waaaaah!!! Don't want cake and ice cream touching."
"You want them not touching each other?"
"Waaaaaaahhhhhhhyyyeessss."
Sigh.
"Don't want cake!!"
"Okay, there you go. No more cake. Eat your ice cream."
"Waaaaaah!! Don't want ice cream!"
"Okay, Thomas can eat your ice cream. Here, Tommy."
"Waaaaah!!! I want ICE CREAM!!!"
"But... but...."
"Don't want the dirty bowl!! NEW BOWL!"
"But you already have TWO bowls... I'll clean one of them for you, so it doesn't have any cake crumbs, okay? Which one do you want me to clean for your ice cream?"
"Small one."
"This one?"
"Mmhmm."

...

"Here you go. New clean bowl."
"Waaaaah!! I want a big bowl!"
"No. You said you wanted this bowl. Do you want ice cream now?"
"Mmhmm."
"Okay, here is some ice cream."
"Waaaaaahhh! I don't want ice cream!"
sigh
"Waaaah! I want CAKE!!"
sigh
"Mommy!!!!!"
"What?"
"Don't talk with food in your mouth! WAAAAAHHHH!"
"Okay, I swallowed. What do you..."
"WAAAAHHHH! Don't say that!"
"Don't say what?"
"MOMMMMYYYYYY!"
"What?"
"DON'T SAY WHAT!!!"
"Wha...?"
"DON'T SAY WHAT!!! WAAAAHHH!"
"Umm... Yes, Elijah?"
"Mommy!!!!"
"Yes?"
"Don't say YES!!!"
"What do you want, Elijah?"
"WAAAAHHH!!!"

sigh. start blogging.

"MOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!"
"MOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!"
"MOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!"
"MOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!"
"MOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!"
"MOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!"

Conquering rising feelings of frustration.

"Yes, Elijah?"
"DON'T SAY YES!!! SAY WHAT!!!"

sigh. Time to wrap this blog entry up.

All of you parents know what I'm talking about. I think I'm going to go lock myself in my room.

Prologue:
I didn't lock the door. The crying followed. I turned the computer around. This is what I saw:

3 comments:

  1. oh, boy.

    hope you get a nice, long, hot bath tonight.

    love you (and 'lijah, too)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yipes!~ Rest up for the next wave! And read D&C 64:33. It always gets me through things like this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, it's not just at my house!! Thank you thank you thank you for this post! I will love you forever. I just connected with you on a shared history, emotional connection and family level. Does that make us pretty good friends, even if it's through email? :)
    My son won't let different foods touch either and if it's cut up he wants it not cut up, but if it's not cut up he wants it cut up and so on and so on and it's never ever ever enough.. but I think all of that ends at some point and then it just gets harder in new ways right? What did we get ourselves into with this motherhood thing?

    ReplyDelete