Sunday, February 22, 2009

Empty Places in my Head

It's the empty places in my head that always cause trouble. This morning as I drowsily shifted from my back to my left side, I felt a slow, sludgy shift happening. Some viscous liquid was slowly settling from the back of my head to the left side. I hate congestion. Congestion is just one step away from a sinus infection. And all because there are holes inside my head, waiting to fill with crud.

Earlier this week, I became aware of a different kind of empty place in my head. To wit, my brain seemed to be made of swiss cheese as I found my memory of even recent events paper thin. People would ask me questions and I'd look at them and say, "Wait. What were we talking about?" This is a very disconcerting feeling, to feel like my brain may have taken a vacation.

It may have been this sickening feeling of mental slowdown (shutdown?) that inspired my trip to the library yesterday. I looked up my GoodReads "to read" list and wrote down almost every one of the novels that I've been looking forward to. Then I searched the library catalogs to see what was available. I also wrote down some author's names that generally prove rewarding. And so it was that I came home from the library with two arms full of:

* War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy
* The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky
* Middlemarch by George Eliot
* My Name is Asher Lev by Chaim Potok
* The Gift of Asher Lev by Chaim Potok
* The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett
* Cry the Beloved Country by Alan Paton
* Far From the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy
* The Wayward Bus by John Steinbeck

...and... since every meal of hearty protein and fiber deserves a bit of sticky-sweet dessert....

* Beauty: A Retelling of Beauty & the Beast by Robin McKinley

I haven't totaled up the pages here yet, but it appears to be about 5000 at first glance. I know it's impossible to read all of this before the library demands I remember the "borrow" policy that they so forcefully insist on. It's impossible with my current responsibilities.

Impossible doesn't daunt me, though.

I left the library with a huge grin smothering my face. If I'm lucky, those empty places in my head will start to fill up with cerebral goodness instead of a winter cold. I'll remember what I was talking about two minutes before.

1 comment:

  1. Here's to books filling the places congestion craves! I have read a handful of the books you checked out. I really like Karamozov and Pillars (very earthy). Hardy is tough, as usual, but worth reading. Good luck on your quest. And if your plans change for tonight, you are still invited over :)

    ReplyDelete