Monday, November 19, 2007

Reality Check

I have to admit I'm a hopeless daydreamer.

When I was attending a Catholic grade school in Baden, Austria I passed my days away in day dreams. I didn't learn a blessed thing other than how to cross myself, which my mother still likes to chuckle about. But the daydreaming was forgivable then, since I didn't speak much German and my teacher didn't speak much English.

The habit has continued with me my whole life. If I had all the time in the world to write, I would have endless stories to put on paper because my imagation is always running wild.

To wit:

A few minutes ago I was getting some water from the fridge. As the water was slowly filling my cup, I started looking at the random papers stuck on the fridge. One envelope caught my eye. It was the envelope from my sister's wedding invitation and I had to pull it out to admire it again. Yes, I usually toss envelopes into recycling, but this one is special. Okay, maybe I'm a geek but I think it's special anyway. It is hand-lettered with beautiful calligraphy, done by the same woman who does calligraphy for the Emmys or Grammys or Darwin Awards or something. I mean, it's gooood stuff. Gorgeous.

In a moment, I was transported Walter Mitty-style to the Academy Awards. I was wearing an amazing jewel-studded gown and somebody was looking down at a paper with that same calligraphy on it, calling my name. I stood, tears in my eyes, choked with shock. "Me?" I mouthed silently as the crowd cheered in admiration.

Then the water cup started to overflow and I was transported back to my very dirty kitchen, wearing dirty jeans and my favorite black t-shirt. Back to reality.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, croc, you had one, too. It was L's wedding invitation envelope. :-) The calligrapher was L's Relief Society president in her last ward.

    ReplyDelete