Friday, November 30, 2007

Lucky #7

I've been "tagged" which is sort of new to me in the blogosphere, but here we go!

Seven Things You Probably Didn't Know Before And Probably Will Wish You Didn't Know After You Know them:

1. When I was doing a History Fair project in junior high, we sent letters to a bunch of celebrities who had recorded political songs. Two responses: The first was an autographed John Denver photo which I now cherish, though I didn't know his music at the time. The second was a small postcard that said, "Call me" with a phone number scribbled. When we deciphered the signature, it was Pete Seeger!!! It was AWESOME talking to him on the phone and he told us awesome stories.

2. I'm totally a cat person. I love cats SO much and will always bend down to give your cat a snuggle if you own one. Josh is allergic, so I can't have my own, which breaks my heart.

3. When I was in college, I took a ballroom dance class and LOVED it. I've always dreamed of taking a class since then because there was nothing I loved more than that dancing. But it's just weirder when you're a "grown up." (I love watching "Dancing With The Stars"--Gooooo Helio!)

4. I've owned two miserably painful businesses. :-D Both were great learning experiences, although both ended with bad circumstances. The first was selling stickers and custom desktop publishing (I sold stickers at the MTC, BYU bookstore & Deseret Book). The second was a partnership to make movies for LDS kids. That one fell apart when I got pregnant with the twins and my partners decided to move to greener pastures. I'll always feel sad about that.

5. I lived in Baden, Austria for six months when I was seven years old. My dad was helping administer the Study Abroad program for BYU that semester. That was an amazing experience and I have always wanted to go back to visit the Rosarium, hike up to the castle, and smell the vendors outside the Vienna Opera.

6. The last two are two pieces of the same puzzle. I have increasingly had "anxiety" issues in the last few years. The first piece of this is that I totally freeze up in most social situations. I used to be the life of the party and social all the time. Now I nearly have an anxiety attack when I'm calling my best friends. I see all my neighbors doing stuff together all the time and I just sort of sit by and feel bad that I'm not joining in. Ouch.

7. The last thing is that I get extreme performance anxiety when I sing. The most embarrassing moment of my life was trying to sing for the relief society two Christmases ago when I was sick. I slaughtered the song, couldn't breathe right, and my voice was totally uncontrollable with those thick vocal chords. I wanted to absolutely melt into the floor and disappear. And then... for some strange reason... I volunteered to sing again the year after... and this year I'm singing another solo. Apparently I'm a slow learner. And I'm also scared spitless.

Sorry they're so long-winded. That is something you already knew about me--the longwindedness. Now I get to "tag" some people. I'd love to learn more about Craig & Jaclyn, Sandra, Mike (though I doubt he'd dare put something so fluffy on his uber-techno-geekiness blog), Lisa, and all of my Mommies friends. :-)

7 comments:

  1. I've always thought you sing beautifully! I'm sorry to hear that it's rough for you, but I must admit that I'm excited you're singing again this year! It will be amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tennille, you totally just made my week! I think I'm gonna blog all about my illustrious singing history sometime and you'll understand why it's so rough for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too think that you sing great and I admire your guts, I don't think I could be brave enough to sing in front of so many people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! I am so glad you took the plunge and disclosed your secrets ;) That anxiety thing is true in my life too. It's strange that the older I get the more anxious I feel in social settings. I think it should be the opposite!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,
    You don't know me from a hole in the wall, but good luck singing in Relief Society -- at least you aren't singing in Sacrament. But I understand how you feel. I get a huge case of stage fright anytime I am put in the spotlight.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I posted the link under your comment on my blog but I thought I'd post here too, so you'd be more likely to see it!
    Marble Magnets
    http://www.mormonchic.com/crafty/marble-magnets.asp

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know, I don't think I said a word to Pete, but he was super nice. :)

    I'm glad that you choose to sing. It reflects your courage and your talent for communicating effectively in varying formats. I seem to recall that you were a good dancer too; so, you have an artsy streak that is a blessing -- or a curse, depending on how flat/sharp your singing is... he he he.

    No, but in real life, singing is not forbidden, singing is good (especially yours).

    ReplyDelete