Thursday, May 17, 2007

Crawl, baby, crawl

Yesterday I got inspired by my friend Mike adding "AdSense" to another blog I post to. (http://tni.geekuniverse.og) So I thought I'd give it a try here and see how it turned out. For those who don't know, AdSense is run by Google and it uses the Magic of Googleness to match up potential advertisers with participating websites. So it "crawls" your website regularly to figure out what it's about. Then it adds advertisements that will match the content of the site.

I was excited to see what kind of ads I would get matched up with, since my personal blog is rather random. At first I got a public service ad, which made me pretty happy. Then I started getting ice cream ads, which were also awesome. And that makes sense, since my entries titled "Sunny Side Down" and "Frozen Scrambled Eggs" were all about misadventures in ice-cream making.

But then I noticed an ad at the bottom advertising a site to discover your errr "lifestyle" preference. (If I say it outright, just imagine the kind of ads I'll get next time Google crawls through here!) I wondered what I might have written that matched my website up with an ad like that.

Other than that one, though, I was very pleased! I actually wanted to click through to see the ads, but that is against the policy when you sign up for AdSense. It makes sense that you shouldn't be paid for your own clicking. But who else is going to more interested in targeted ads than the person who wrote the content for the targeting?? Kind of a catch 22 in advertising terms--logic insists that advertisers must exclude their prime target!

So far I've earned 35 cents. As Mike put it: "It's gonna be a lot harder than I thought to become an internet tycoon."

No comments:

Post a Comment