Friday, March 06, 2009

Changes

My sister shared this fragment of a poem with me today. It is from "Transcendental Etude" by Adrienne Rich:

But there come times—perhaps this is one of them 
when we have to take ourselves more seriously or die;
when we have to pull back from the incantations,
rhythms we’ve moved to thoughtlessly,
and disenthrall ourselves, bestow
ourselves to silence, or a severer listening, cleansed
of oratory, formulas, choruses, laments, static
crowding the wires.


This expresses perfectly my life at this moment. Now is one of those times.

Pulling back from the rhythms I've moved so thoughtlessly to feels impossible. I don't feel strong enough to take myself more seriously and make more deliberate choices in my life. I can feel myself drifting mindlessly, though, and it's time I lift my head and look for a safe harbor.

1 comment:

  1. I have to tell you, I love your pic... "You can't scare me, I have children!" Ha, so true. sadly, so very, very true.

    I like the poem, and I hope you have the courage to do what you need to care for yourself! Sending you lots of love fairies to flutter by!

    ReplyDelete