Monday, August 27, 2007

Quotes from "The Book Thief"

Some of my favorite quotes from the first few chapters of "The Book Thief":

This is the entire first page (plus a little bit more):

First the colors.
Then the humans.
That's usually how I see things.
Or at least, how I try.

***HERE IS A SMALL FACT***
You are going to die.

I am in all truthfulness attempting to be cheerful about this whole topic, though most people find themselves hindered in believing me, no matter my protestations. Please, trust me. I most definitely can be cheerful. I can be amiable. Agreeable. Affable. And that's only the A's. Just don't ask me to be nice. Nice has nothing to do with me.

***REACTION TO THE AFOREMENTIONED FACT***
Does this worry you?
I urge you--don't be afraid.
I'm nothing if not fair.

--Of course, an introduction.
A beginning.
Where are my manners?
I could introduce myself properly, but it's not really necessary. You will know me well enough and soon enough, depending on a diverse range of variables. It suffices to say that at some point in time, I will be standing over you, as genially as possible. Your soul will be in my arms. A color will be perched on your shoulder. I will carry you gently away.

Two pages later:

White is without a question a color, and personally, I don't think you want to argue with me.

***A REASSURING ANNOUNCEMENT***
Please, be calm, despite that previous threat.
I am all bluster--I am not violent.
I am not malicious.
I am a result.

And one of my favorites:

***A TRANSLATION***
Himmel = Heaven

Whoever named Himmel Street certainly had a healthy sense of irony. Not that it was a living hell. It wasn't. But it sure as hell wasn't heaven, either.

6 comments:

  1. You're so well read! And well versed. I love the quotes. They remind me a bit, in tone, of Douglas Adams.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ZomBre10:27 PM

    I don't know you, but I would just like to say, this is one of my favourite books, and some of my favourite quotes. I think my favourite would be this:
    *** A SMALL PIECE OF TRUTH***
    I do not carry a sickle or scythe.
    I only wear a hooded black robe when it's cold.
    And I don't have those skull-like
    facial features you seem to enjoy
    pinning on me from a distance. You
    want to know what I truly look like?
    I'll help you out. Find yourself
    a mirror while I continue.
    (p. 307)
    -----------------

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Lisabella. You're so well read. Hoping for a movie from this book :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nikki3:05 PM

    a movie would ruin everything. it would be a disaster. not even the best actor in the world or the most amazing directer/producer could ever portray this book in movie form to even the slightest praise to such a beyond amazing read. (forgive me if that made no sense.) bravo markus!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous2:34 PM

    I heard that there will be a movie next summer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this book. A movie from it would be really hard to make, but something like Christiane F. could work. Something real, despite the fact it's fiction.

    ReplyDelete