Sunday, August 12, 2007

Crying for Rudy Steiner

Books, words, images. These are the themes of the novel I just finished reading: "The Book Thief." The backdrop? World War II. The eyes we see through for the journey? Death.

There are two books which have utterly torn my soul into two pieces and left me a new person. The first was "Where Angels Fear to Tread" by E.M. Forster. The second was "The Book Thief" by Markus Zusak.

Read it. Now. Don't wait for the library hold list like I did for months. Buy it. Read it. Enjoy. Tell me what you thought.

1 comment:

  1. So having never heard of The Book Thief, but always looking for something good to read, I went to the local library and found a copy. I read the entire thing in less than 2 days. I even gave up my Sunday nap for it. I really, really enjoyed it. Who knew death had such a dry sense of humor. I hated the ending because of how it ends, although I do realize that was how it was suppose to end. It's hard to talk about a book without knowing what direction to go, but thanks for the recommendation on the book. I'll be passing it along.

    ReplyDelete