Thursday, December 06, 2007

My Swiss Heritage

This is where I was raised:

View Larger Map

This is where I could have been raised, had my great-grandfather stayed in Switzerland:

View Larger Map

Notice the greenness of Rueggisberg? The quaintness? The history that comes with being hundreds of years old?

Orem is less than 100 years old. It's full of streets. And houses. And really, really ugly cinderblock strip malls. And more strip malls.

I knew people made large sacrifices when they joined the LDS church and came to Utah to be with "the saints." But I never thought I'd feel that pain so intensely, removed several generations as I am.

I could have been raised in Switzerland...

I could have been Swiss...

The cuckoo clocks and the..

Dare I speak it?

The chocolate! Swiss Chocolate! I think I'm gonna go cry myself to sleep. *sniff*

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree. My maiden name is Ingebretsen, it's Swedish, and two years ago i got to go visit Sweden. oh it was so beautiful. I felt like I belonged there. It was hard to come bakc to dry, dreay Utah.

    ReplyDelete