Thursday, May 02, 2013

The Writer's Voice entry


This blog post is my official entry in a writing competition called "The Writer's Voice."

Title: Fight for the Galaxy
Genre: MG fiction
Word count: 47,600 words

Query:

Orion Carrera never wanted to save the world, much less the entire solar system. But when the President of the Milky Way shows up at his dad’s auto repair shop, Orion learns his dad has been keeping secrets. Big secrets—like the fact that he is an intergalactic racecar celebrity, has saved the galaxy dozens of times, and goes a lot farther away than Texas when he says he’s away for business. And now the President of the Galaxy needs Orion’s dad one more time in a race around the rings of Saturn to keep the evil Antennites from annexing Earth’s solar system for their own nefarious purposes. And this time, Orion and his carefree older brother, James, need to buckle up and join the team. 

Orion has to face more than just his insecurities and fears along the way—he learns the truth about how his mother died, makes unlikely friends, and is thrust unwillingly into the limelight while the Antennites try to make sure Team Milky Way loses before the race has even begun. Things take a turn for the worst when Orion falls for one of the Antennites' traps, and it looks like the fate of the solar system depends on Orion learning that sometimes it’s okay to break the rules.

First 250 words:

      I should have known my dad had a secret. I should have seen the signs but I didn't. Not until the truth flew out of the sky and hit me on the head. You're probably thinking that's just an exaggeration, but it's not. Seriously, it flew out of the sky and hit me on the head. It hurt, too.
      It happened on the last day of 6th grade. Everything started out pretty normal: cold breakfast, classes, and a long wait for my brother to pick me up after school. He was late, as usual, so I was reading a book on the grass. Everyone else was gone already except for a couple guys kicking a soccer ball around and some girls giggling together. I tried to ignore them, which was pretty easy since they were acting like I didn't even exist. I glanced up and saw a cloud of dust rising in the distance. Somebody was driving through the dirt roads in my small town way too quickly, and I had a feeling I knew who it was.
      Sure enough, the crazy dust storm headed straight toward the school. A minute later, a silver convertible materialized and skidded to a stop in the parking lot. The car was beautiful: a vintage 60's Jaguar in mint condition. The soccer players stopped and stared at it. "Nice car," one of them muttered to the other. He was right--the Jaguar was extremely valuable and my dad had spent months restoring it.

28 comments:

  1. Great job on the voice. It definitely sounds like a boy!

    How does a racer save the universe? Does he and the Antennites have a race to see who can keep the Milky Way?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sarah :)

    "And now the President of the Galaxy needs Orion’s dad one more time in a race around the rings of Saturn to keep the evil Antennites from annexing Earth’s solar system for their own nefarious purposes"

    Sorry if that was confusing. It's kind of a long, rambling sentence, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really good job on the voice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, this is cute. I love middle grade and intergalactic racers? Love it! Best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great opening hook. It's wonderful. This is a really strong query so great job and good luck in the contest!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds fun to me and whacky enough to appeal to kids!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wacky is definitely a good word to describe this one! I had so much fun with it.

      Delete
  7. My best friend's son would probably love this idea - intergalactic racers incorporates two of his favorite things: outer space and cars (well, right now it's hot wheels but you know where that's headed :P).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Melissa! I wrote it for my son who was nine at the time because he loves cars and outer space. :)

      Delete
  8. So excited. My boy will love reading this someday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds like a wonderful adventure. And I love the name Orion! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the name Orion is pretty great, too. My character uses the name "Ryan" for short!

      Delete
  10. I'd read this. Sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is wonderful! I absolutely love the premise, and the opening -- about truth hitting him on the head -- is hilarious. Good luck! Hope you get tons of requests! You deserve them!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a cute story! Best of luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm a middle grade teacher and I know my kiddos would eat this up. *Sending good luck sprinkles*

    ReplyDelete
  14. Loving this! Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the line " Seriously, it flew out of the sky and hit me on the head. It hurt, too." Awesome! And I love the comment on the left "you can't scare me. I have children." :) Your entry sounds fantastically fun. Best of luck to you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I want more! It sounds and reads like a fun and entertaining story!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I cannot breathe right now. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE THIS!!!!!!!!! I totally want to work on this one. I want you on my team! Gawd, I'm totally fangirling right now. I write MG, so you have to pick me. We'll work on making the pitch clearer and a few tweaks in the opening page.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a little speechless! THANK YOU, Brenda! You totally made my day!

      Delete
  18. Juliana, I'm so excited for you!! Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm making my rounds to all the lucky writers on #TeamBrenda. Are we gonna rock this Voice, or what! WooHoo!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is a nice post in an interesting line of content.Thanks for sharing this article, great way of bring such topic to discussion. Bridal saree

    ReplyDelete
  21. I really enjoyed reading this intro and teaser. You have a way with painting pictures in the minds eye with words. Very cinematic in your writing style. I would like to read the entire ebook.

    Congrats, on a super submission. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Juliana, just checking to see if you saw the tweet about friending me on Facebook so I can invite you into Team Brenda's Coffee House where you can meet current and past team members, critique each others pages, make new friends, and most importantly, get instructions on where to send your query and requested chapters. Here's my page: https://www.facebook.com/brenda.l.drake.5

    ReplyDelete
  23. Loved this premise and the voice! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete