Sunday, May 20, 2012

Flowers and Weeds

Right now, my yard and my life are full of a lot of weeds.


The lawn is dead and it's my fault. The grass won't grow anywhere but in the flower beds.


The flowers that I so carefully planted in the fall are being choked out by the weeds that I negligently allowed to grow. A passive choice not to confront a problem has cancelled out my active attempts from the past.


I am overwhelmed at the impossibility of getting my flower beds--and my life--back to a state of beauty and calm. The task seems beyond me.

So I make a choice.


I search for hope. I choose to find the beauty among the weeds. I pick some herbs and some flowers and put them in a vase together. I fill the vase with pure water and fill my soul with renewed commitment to see the good in my life, to celebrate the strength among the weakness. I choose triumph while surrounded by certain defeat.

Nothing will be easy. The weeds will still grow. I will still feel embarrassed by the dead and ugly things in my yard and soul. But I am strong and I know the weeds will not choke out everything good.

My strength remains.

6 comments:

  1. nice words
    life is good if we think positive
    we will attract all good things to our life if we think positive....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully written. If you'd like I can help with the weeds... at least the ones in the yard. :) And of course help you focus on the flowers in your life. You are a beautiful, strong, amazing woman (despite the weeds)--don't ever forget that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate that, Janelle! You always make me feel like I can accomplish anything. Love you!

      Delete
  3. I soooo want to sit down & talk with you. I was driving away & saw you on your steps last night & wanted to come chat. When I got home you were gone. We are packing like crazy (with a few breaks to read blogs, or course), but I would love to see you before we leave (in 2 weeks...we're leaving a little earlier than our original plan).

    -Steph

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sad you'll be gone so soon, Steph! At least we'll "always have the internet." ;)

      Delete