Sunday, November 22, 2009

Wake-up Call

I was having a lovely dream around 3:00 a.m. when I awoke suddenly to the sound of my telephone ringing. In my supreme mid-dream drowsiness, I reasoned that either (a) it was important and they would call back or (b) it was unimportant and they would not call back. They didn't call back (wrong number?) and I fell asleep again quickly.

The real wakeup call came later in the morning when I met with a member of our Bishopric. I was recently released from a calling and knew that something new was in the works. As we sat down together, I hoped for something that would be spiritually invigorating and mentally challenging.

In particular, I hoped I would finally be called to teach in one of the classes. I come from a family of teachers and spent a few brief months teaching at a private school before my oldest son was born. Teaching is in my blood. I enjoy it and look forward to it. It's a real treat to me when I'm asked to substitute teach a class. Yet for some reason, I've never been called on to teach regularly in church.

I'm generally called to do very organizational types of things. This makes sense because I am extremely organized--or at least I can be and prefer to be--and because I have no trouble keeping track of several "loose ends." I'm a natural-born secretary, but pardon my indignation while I state that I am good at plenty of things non-secretarial. I'm intelligent and well-educated and I love a challenge.

You can imagine my inner reaction when I was asked to fill the easiest calling in the entire church--"church librarian." This involves making photocopies and taking pictures off a shelf. That is all, in its entirety. Making photocopies and taking pictures off a shelf. (I mustn't forget that I have to take our paper out of the machine at the end of the day to keep supplies in their proper places. Heaven forbid I forget that detail!)

I had all the enthusiasm crushed out of me, but we never say no when we're asked to serve in the church so my husband (who was released from a calling he loved for this) and I are now librarians. Every other week.

I'm still wrapping my head around how to humbly and gratefully magnify this calling. I'm trying to forget my impression that this calling is generally given to people who seem to be spiritually unprepared for more important things. I'm trying not to feel like this is a waste of my talents. I'm trying to remember that we were told this calling is highly coveted and we were chosen, partially, because we are being released from time-consuming callings. It's our reward, I guess, for serving well in other ways?

I'm trying to remember that callings come from a Higher Source and He knows better than I do. I'm trying to remember that I am pregnant and probably not fit for the most challenging calling right now. I'm trying to remember I could end up on bed rest again, just like with my other pregnancies.

I'm trying to remember that humbly serving anywhere in the church is taking the burden off of somebody else. I'm trying to remember a lot of things. I'm trying to be like Jesus and accept humble service without complaint.

It might take a few days to sink in, but I will be there next Sunday morning with a bright, cheerful smile on my face to make photocopies, hand people pictures and put the copy paper where it belongs at the end of the day. I will find out why everybody else is congratulating me on the best calling ever ... and then my gratitude sincerely overflow.

At least, that's the plan.

8 comments:

  1. I think the librarians can also serve as friendshippers and missionaries. You will be good at that. And when everyone is in class you and J will get a chance to sit in the quiet and talk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:37 PM

    By the sounds of it this is the perfect calling for you. It would appear that the Lord knows what you need and what it sounds like is a little humility. I am offended that you would make such a comment about those wonderful people who serve with all their heart in the Library. Whether or not your whole family teaches or not it sounds like more than anything you need to learn to sustain your leaders. Which means a whole lot more than just accepting a calling. It means doing with a willing heart and being Grateful for the new experience. As much as everyone would like to be able to pick the callings they feel they are qualified for, I am grateful that the Lord knows us all individually and puts us in the positions where he sees fit, where he knows we will have the greatest impact on the lives of those we serve. To all the rest of you out there who are or have been church librarians, THANK YOU! You have as important of a calling as everyone and anyone else in the church because you were and are called of God.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really appreciate this post - the fact is that every one of us is human and we have prejudices about many things, including callings. You are open enough to be honest about yours - I love that about you; even though you and I have never had the chance to become close, I feel like you are the epitome of a true friend who can accept my faults and forgive my errors because you're willing to face your own. You are facing this challenge head on, even though many don't respect how important a challenge like this can be. I think you're wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Pamela, your comment truly touched me. I can't imagine anything kinder! Thank you for making my day.

    Dear Anonymous, the point of the post was that the new calling was a "wake up call" and hence the title. I suppose it was implied somewhat too subtly that I was facing my prejudices and pride and having to face them head-on. Many (most) would shy away from making those prejudices public because it exposes their biases and weakness so completely. That is not something I do on my blog. I am human and always strive to present my humanity sincerely so that others feel comfortable in their own humanity as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been lobbying for years to be librarian. :)

    Kazzy's right. Librarians get to make a lot of friends and you do get to sit in the dark and chat. Which would be cool. Also, it'll be nice for when the baby comes.

    Anonymous obviously got up on the wrong side of the bed. Like they've never been let down when they've been called to something like "sunday school greeter" or "hymnal collector after Relief Society".

    Personally, I'm loving my two (2! That's right Anonymous) callings. Mostly because neither one of them has me doing anything except for show up to church.

    Which is hard enough.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Juliana,
    You will do great! I am sure someone is just watching out for you, especially if you get sick during your pregnancies. (Then showing up for church IS just plain hard!!) I am sure that you will be stretched in other ways.....don't worry! We don't get relief from that :) But thanks for being the kind of person who WANTS a time consuming calling!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the mind expanding post. As a librarian by training and a former assistant ward librarian, I have to say that I hold you completely blameless for not being super excited to be a ward librarian. LOL. I think everyone has a calling they are not excited about. That is kind of the point of callings, right? They can challenge us and help us grow. I still have a lot to learn about accepting and magnifying callings.

    Also, thanks for not removing Anonymous' post. It helps remind me that some people CHOOSE to be offended over the most silly things. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous8:17 AM

    I just happened upon your blog and loved this post. I am the WARD LIBRARIAN and have been for the past year and a half. I was released from RS president when I received the calling. I try very hard to enjoy the calling and I do the best I can, but it has been a difficult step for me. I feel "locked away".

    I did this alone for about 10 months and they finally called someone to help, especially for the times I can't be there. She LOVES the calling. It is fun to watch her enthusiasm and I wish some could rub off on me.

    I am quite sure that no - one knows how I really feel because I go forward in the calling received... but it has been difficult.

    Good luck as you go forth in the calling. May you and your husband find joy and peace in the calling!

    ReplyDelete